Don’t overload on the lights

December 08, 2011

Festive lights can do more than fill a room with Chrismas cheer- they can short-circuit the power, electrocute the family dog and burn the house down.

Firefighters have issued a warning about over enthusiastic light decorations over the Christmas/New Year period.

Fire and Rescue NSW was called out to 673 residential fires between December 1 last year and January 31 this year.

“Getting into the spirit of Christmas with lots of lights and other accessories is great fun,” Commissioner Greg Mullins said.

“But over-enthusiatic decorating can lead to over-loaded electrical circuits.”

Let’s hope everyone will be safe this Christmas/New Year