Festive lights can do more than fill a room with Chrismas cheer- they can short-circuit the power, electrocute the family dog and burn the house down.
Firefighters have issued a warning about over enthusiastic light decorations over the Christmas/New Year period.
Fire and Rescue NSW was called out to 673 residential fires between December 1 last year and January 31 this year.
“Getting into the spirit of Christmas with lots of lights and other accessories is great fun,” Commissioner Greg Mullins said.
“But over-enthusiatic decorating can lead to over-loaded electrical circuits.”
Let’s hope everyone will be safe this Christmas/New Year